1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,
To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion:
Testing of Your Faith
2 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds,3 for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
9 Let the lowly brother boast in his exaltation, 10 and the rich in his humiliation, because like a flower of the grass he will pass away. 11 For the sun rises with its scorching heat and withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beauty perishes. So also will the rich man fade away in the midst of his pursuits.
"If we desire our faith to be strengthened, we should not shrink from opportunities where our faith may be tried, and therefore, through trial, be strengthened."
- A “trial” in the New Testament is defined as a painful circumstance allowed by God to change my conduct and my character. My conduct— is how I behave. My character—is who I am. In the New Testament the Biblical terms for trials is translated as: suffering, hardship, tribulation, chastising, and discipline. Trials are hard times! What lesson have you learned about the person of God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) in your trials?
- One thing we know is that everyone experiences trials. It is highly likely that you or the person beside you is going through a trial right now. What trials are you going through: Is it physical? Is it relational? Is it economic? Is it emotional? Is it circumstantial?
- God offers wisdom to those who are going through trials. James encourages the Christian to ask (and keep on asking) God for wisdom. God promises that He will give His wisdom freely and graciously, as often as we need it. Wisdom is the application of knowledge. Have you asked (and continued to ask) for God’s wisdom? Have you entered into God’s word with the purpose of seeking His knowledge, ways and wisdom? How can you avoid being double minded in the midst of your trials?
Scriptures to Consider
- Isaiah 42:3
- 2 Corinthians 4:8,9
- Philippians 4:12,13
MONDAY, February 4
9:30 am Men’s Prayer
1:30 pm Women’s Prayertime
7:00 pm Monday Night Men
7:00 pm Drama Meeting
TUESDAY, February 5
9:00 am Daybreak
7:00 pm Youth Studies
7:00 pm Deep Dish
WEDNESDAY, February 6
9:45 am Keenager’s Study
4:00 & 6:30 pm AWANA
6:40 pm Corporate Prayer
6:40 pm Understanding OT
6:40 pm Spiritual Gifts Study
6:40 pm The Case for Christ
7:30 pm Young Adults at Piska’s
THURSDAY, February 7
7:00 pm Understanding NT
7:00 pm Soul Care
7:00 pm Evening Edition
7:00 pm DivorceCare
7:00 pm Men’s Floor Hockey
FRIDAY, February 8
7:00 pm Faith Family Hockey Night at Grant Fuhr Arena
SATURDAY , February 9
SUNDAY, February 10
9:15 and 11:15 am Worship Services
11:40 am Youth Sunday Series
6:00 pm Hymn Sing
Into His Presence Join us Sunday, February 3 at 6:00 pm for this Worship & Praise Party.
WOMEN join us Tuesday, February 5 at 7:00 pm for DEEP DISH. A time of connection, community, and conversation. Sharina Kim is going to share what God’s been doing in her life lately and it’s going to be great! Dessert and coffee will be served. All women are welcome to attend this casual evening
- Understanding the Old Testament, Spiritual Gifts, and Case for Christ on Wednesday at 6:40 pm
- Understanding the New Testament , and Soul Care on Thursday at 7:00 pm. Soul Care will begin on Thursday February 7. See The Journey for more information.
Invite friends and neighbors to FAITH FAMILY HOCKEY NIGHT at the Saints game on Friday February 8. After the game participate in the post game activities and hear a gospel message from US Olympian Noah Welch. Stop by the Kiosk for ticket info or contact Tim Wiebe.
You are invited to a DRAMA MINISTRY meeting on Monday, February 4 at 7:00 pm in the Oasis room. We want you to know that by attending this meeting, you are not committing to anything. We want to discuss the potential of starting this ministry at SGAC. So, if you are passionate or curious about drama, please attend! If you have questions, please speak to Pastor Andrew.
HYMN SING Sunday, February 10 at 6:00 pm Join us for a sing-along of the traditional hymns of the faith. Open to all ages. Please bring finger food to share after the event.
Deeper Life School of Theology February 21-23 “Romans – Wrath to Righteousness” with Dr. Cottle. If you would like to earn your degree or just want to personally study the word of God deeper. Please reserve your spot with Andrew Friesen by February 4.
YOUTH RETREAT February 22-24 at Camp Nakamun. Register now! Deadline is February 17. Early bird price $120 until February 10 then it will be $130. Register online or contact Janet for registration forms.
The church office requires your contact information. If you have moved in the past 12 months or are new to our church family, please make sure we have your current address as charitable receipts will be processed soon. Email us with the updated information.
Singin’ the Gospel Sunday February 24 at 6:00 pm. Come and enjoy an excellent young ladies trio -The Martens Sisters. Added bonus is the group - Dirty Andy and the Mudslingers featuring Pastor Andrew!. It’ll be a great evening of music. See you there.
Weekly Update -Jan. 27, 2019
General Fund giving Jan. 27 $ 15,756
31 week average $ 23,738
-- Budget requirement $ 24,942
Future Dev. Fund giving Jan. 27 $ 2,820
- Balance as of Jan. 27 $1,445,934
Refugee Fund Dec. 1-Jan.27 $ 9,999
Monthly Update July 1 to Dec. 31, 2018
General Fund Budget Revenue Amount to Date: $ 673,434
General Revenue to Date: $ 660,989
-Budget Shortfall $ 12,445
Global Advance Giving $ 65,310
Canadian Ministries Giving $ 15,338
Please pray for:
Our International Workers: Ray & Cindy Perry, Stephen & Marilyn Rigby, Roy & Joyce Hewko.
Our Pastoral Team Staff Member: Pastor Coreen Frey. Pastor Coreen is married to Dave and they have 3 married children.
Our Support Staff Team Member: Tony Sera. Tony is married to Melanie and they have 2 children ages 8 & 4.
Our Elders Team Member: John Olsen. John is married to Arlene and they have 4 children ages 16, 14, 8 and 6.
- Meet n Eat is a social group for families, couples, or individuals who would like to connect with others within our church community. Sign up today at the Welcome Center to be placed in a small group that will meet in each others homes. Each member will host one meal or dessert night, can be as casual as you like, with the sole purpose of getting to know one another and build community.
- Mission Fest Alberta Feb. 22 - 24 and it is their 25th Anniversary! Join them at West Edmonton Christian Assembly. “To God Be The Glory”. Brochures available at the Welcome Centre.
- We rejoice with Jason & Rachel Ottenbreit as they dedicate Amelia Evelyn to the Lord.