Lessons from Jesus
“Walk in Truth – It Is God’s Will”
Scripture Text: Romans 5:1 - 11
Peace and Hope
5 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we[a] have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we[b] boast in the hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only so, but we[c] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.
6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! 10 For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! 11 Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.
- In Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount, he addressed very practical circumstances in life. He addressed issues that the everyday person was facing. He spoke of murder, adultery, divorce, speaking the truth, getting even with someone by whom one has been wronged.
- He spoke of love and charitable deeds. He spoke of religious practices – prayer and fasting. He addressed the subject of wealth and of individuals looking upon the acts of others in a condemning manner. He spoke of what we know as the ‘Golden Rule’ and true and false teaching.
- So why did He give His inaugural address on so many topics? He wanted then (and wants now) that each of His followers live a life of blessing and fulfillment. He spoke of all these matters as introductory to His further teachings yet serve as a resume or preamble thus the first set of powerful truths we know as The Beatitudes.
- He spoke to give us great hope for a blessed future as we live out the will of God.
- “The will of God is not something you add to your life. It’s a course you choose. You either line yourself up with the Son of God or you capitulate to the principle which governs the rest of the world.” - Elisabeth Elliot
Scriptures to Consider
• Jeremiah 29:11
• Ephesians 5:15-20
• Micah 6:8
MONDAY, July 24
9:30 am Outreach Prayer
1:30 pm Women's Prayertime
TUESDAY, July 25
6:30 pm Pain Free
WEDNESDAY, July 26
9:45 am Keenager’s Study
10:30 am Park Play Days at Ecole Broxton Park School
7:00 pm Young Adults Study at Vanderveen’s
7:00 pm Safety and Risk Management Training
THURSDAY, July 27
7:00 pm Dessert Night Silent Auction Fundraiser for Shelby Fehr
FRIDAY, July 28
1:30 pm Bauer/King Wedding
SATURDAY , July 29
SUNDAY, July 30
10:00 am Worship Service with Discovery Island Sunday School
PARK PLAY DAYS Women, we will meet at Ecole` Broxton School from 10:30 am to noon, Wednesday, July 26. This is our last Play Day for the summer.
Safety and Risk Management Training, July 26 at 7:00 - 8:00 pm. All volunteers working with children are required to take this training once per year. If you are new to volunteering or need to update please let Debbie or Janet know when you will attend.
You are invited to SHELBY'S DESSERT NIGHT FUNDRAISER Thursday July 27 at 7 pm. Come bid on silent auction items and hear about her experience in missions. Discover how you can become a part of it! For more information contact Shelby by email.
YOUTH EVENT GAMES IN THE PARK Friday July 28 5:00 - 8:00 pm Drop off and pick up at Jubilee Park. Hotdogs and drinks provided. Please bring a loonie to help cover costs.
VBS (Vacation Bible School) August 14 - 18. Maker Fun Factory for ages 3 to 12. Registration is $15 per child online only until July 31. This cost increases to $25 per child after that date.
VBS LEADERS MEETING Aug. 9 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm VBS Safety & Risk Management training. Meeting to follow for all VBS leaders.
MISSIONS: Pastor Coreen will be taking a team to Antigua again this January 2018 to provide Discipleship Curriculum in the public schools and present the Gospel in a creative way. To raise funds, we will be having a continuous Bottle Drive. You can bring your bottles to be donated to the church office anytime. Please call Kathy Duncan at 780-722-3211 or text Catarina Van Neck at 780-667-4601 if you have any questions.
Giving Week of July 16: $17,817
3 Week Average: $17,154
Budget Requirement: $24,302
Future Development Fund:
Giving July 16: $3,276
Balance as of July 16: $433,917
Monthly Update (July 2016 - June 30, 2017):
Budget Shortfall: $74,330
Year to date Surplus: $33,091
Please pray for:
- Our International Workers: Dan & Melodie Ibsen, A & J, Tim & Brenda Tjosvold.
- Our Pastoral Staff: Pastor Scott Buck - Scott is married to Lyn and they have 6 boys - ages 9, 8, 6, 5, 2 and 1.
- Our Administrative Staff: Karen Lapp. Karen is married to Jon and they have 3 children, ages 19, 17 & 15.
- Our Elders: Gerald Weighill is married to Mary and they have three married children.
- Ruth and Reuben Bauer invite you to the wedding celebration of their daughter Simone and Allen King on Friday, July 28 at 1:30 pm, here in the sanctuary of Spruce Grove Alliance Church.
- CONGRATULATIONS to Chris & Marlyse Trufyn on the birth of their daughter. Stella Ivy was born July 10. She will be loved dearly by her two older sisters Zara and Zoey.